Okara oatmeal cookies

I had to find something to do with the okara leftover from making soya bean milk to go with glutinous rice balls, and it so happened that I also needed to make something dry and snacky. Hence I chose this Okara Oatmeal Carob Chip Cookies recipe.

Okara oat cookies

I have carob but not any carob chips, nor any nuts as required by the recipe so I decided to leave those out. When I actually started to make the cookies, I had a closer look at the recipe and thought to myself that 1/4 cup vegetable oil & 1/2 cup honey really didn’t look like enough to hold together 2 cups of okara+flour+oats (not including 1/2 cup worth of carob chips & nuts) but I decided just to wing it anyway. So making this cookie was a bit of a rollercoaster ride!

Here are the ingredients I used:

  • 1 cup okara (soybean meal)
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1-1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil [ended adding much more]
  • 1/2 cup honey [ended adding much more]
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

The oil and honey just wasn’t enough to bind together the dry ingredients so I kept adding gradually more of both oil and honey until it all started clumping together – don’t ask me how much extra I added but it was probably more than 1 cup full of liquids in total in the end. It turned out a little bit too sweet for my taste and honey is high in salicylates (hence a chance of an intolerance reaction in me) so I wish hadn’t added so much.

However, even then, I couldn’t get it to stay in drop cookie shapes on the baking tray so I gave up and pressed the whole thing into one large sheet on the cookie tray. Put into oven at 170°C. Whilst baking, the baking soda made the dough swell up and this helped all the ingredients stick together. Had to watch the ‘cookies’ very carefully as I didn’t follow the shaping instructions. When they started to look brown, I took the tray out of the oven. The ‘cookies’ seemed very soft and oily at this point though.

Then I recalled that the Anzac cookies I made before behaved in much the same way. They were also difficult to shape (but easier than these ones) and were terribly soft when removed from the oven. Upon cooling, they hardened into proper cookies.

So I left the tray of cookie mixture, which looked a lot like muesli or granola at this point, to cool. It hardened nicely then when I attempted to cut it with a knife, it broke into lots of small pieces and oats. However, breaking it by hand into cookie-sized shapes worked very well.

They turned out as quite nice cookies in the end and have been rapidly gobbled up by other members in my family too.

2/2/08 update: see also my attempt at rolled oats, okara and almond bars.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: